Professional Development @ IDC
The Office of eCampus Learning's Instructional Design Center (IDC) offers a variety of professional development (PD) services for faculty. We strive to promote the best online course design and pedagogically sound principles in an effort to improve instructor and student experience in our distance education courses.
Some of the professional development opportunities we offer include:
- PD1 - Introduction to Blackboard – This is a self-paced, just-in-time online professional development course for anyone who wishes to learn the tools and functionality of EKU’s Blackboard learning management system.
- PD2 - Online Course Development and Teaching Certificate Program - This is a rigorous 8-week hybrid course that will require high levels of engagement and participation, with the goal of facilitating the use of best practices by faculty in online course development and teaching.
- PD3 - Course Development with Backward Design – This is a two-week course during which participants will learn how to use Understanding by Design® framework (Wiggins & McTighe, 2005), and Transparency in Learning and Teaching (TILT) to create pedagogically appropriate lesson plans for their online and face-to-face courses.
- Online Teaching and Learning Workshops (OTL) - These workshops are created with the intent to explore strategies, assessments, pedagogy, and tools and technology in online education.
- Quality Matters® Certification – Starting in the second half of the Spring 2017 semester, the IDC will offer Applying the Quality Matters Rubric certification for EKU faculty.
- DEEP – Discussion Boards. As part of the University-wide “Developing Excellence in Eastern’s Professors” initiative (also known as DEEP), we offer a self-paced, online course that teaches the critical use of discussion boards.