VoiceThread for Students
VoiceThread EKU student accounts are created automatically through Blackboard upon initial access of a Voicethread link within a Blackboard course module. Students should be aware of the following:
- Students must access VoiceThread through each Blackboard course which utilizes VoiceThread to have it added to their MyVoice list.
- After authenticating your account through Blackboard, you may access VoiceThread directly by browsing to www.VoiceThread.com (Note: Some courses have assignments set up through Blackboard and must be completed within the Blackboard course.)
- Navigate to the desired Blackboard course
- Click the VoiceThread link
(Note: These links will always have the associated VT logo and may be located on a specified VoiceThread page or within the Weekly Lessons/Modules).
- Once logged in through Blackboard, you will be prompted to upload an avatar (profile image)
- Browse to the desired VoiceThread
- Click the comment bubble, located at the bottom of the VoiceThread
(Note: The bubble will become visible upon rollover)
- Click the desired mode of adding a comment
- To add a video comment with your webcam, click the camera icon
- To add a voice comment with a headset/microphone, click the microphone icon
- To add a text comment, click the “type” icon
- Once you have completed your recording, click the stop button
- After reviewing your comment
- Click save to publish the comment
- Click cancel to return to delete the comment
Many courses require you to create and submit a VoiceThread to complete an assignment. These may be used as a form of communication or in place of a formal synchronous presentation. The following instructions will walk you through the process of accessing the VoiceThread assignment and creating a VT for submission.
- Navigate to the VoiceThread link and click the title
- Click Create new VoiceThread
- Either click Add Media and select files OR drag-and-drop files onto the screen
(Note: VoiceThread accepts images, video, documents, PDF, and PowerPoint files. You can also record a video directly to VoiceThread. )
- On the Thread Settings window Title/Description tab, complete the Title, Description, and Tags fields.
- On the Cover Art tab, upload a desired image for the presentation’s cover
(Note: You will be redirected to a different screen that will display each slide individually.)
- After uploading your files, click Comment
- Click Comment
- Click the desired comment type
(Note: If a message box appears, click Allow.)
- Click Stop when you have completed your narration
- Click Save to save and publish your comment
- Narrate each desired slide by completing steps 5-9
- Click X when you have completed your narrations
- Click Submit
- Click Submit Assignment
Some courses may require you to work with a group to create a VoiceThread presentation for a course. In order to work on one VoiceThread, you will need to share a created VoiceThread with your group members. There are many workflow options for completing these tasks; the following is merely our suggestion.
- Create a Google Slides/Presentation (Learn more about Google Slides) or PowerPoint with your group members
- Designate a team leader to create a new VoiceThread and upload the PowerPoint presentation
- On the Owned by me page, hover over the desired VoiceThread and click Share
- Locate the desired group, click the Members dropdown arrow and select all group members
- In the Allow them to... section
- Click Edit
- Click Share
- After sharing the VoiceThread, you will each need to add your comments depending on how you have divided the presentation
For more information on creating and editing VoiceThreads, browse to the VoiceThread Support page.
Published on July 28, 2014