VoiceThread for Instructors
VoiceThread Instructor Accounts
To Activate VT within a Blackboard Course
To Add a VT to a Course
To Share a Previously Created VT with a Class
To Create & Share a VT with a Class
VoiceThread Video Tutorials
VoiceThread EKU Instructor accounts are created automatically through Blackboard upon initial access of a Voicethread link within a Blackboard course module. Instructors should be aware of the following:
- Instructors must set up and access VoiceThread through each desired Blackboard course to have it added to their MyVoice list.
- After authenticating your account through Blackboard, you may access VoiceThread directly by browsing to www.VoiceThread.com (Note: We encourage the creation of Blackboard VoiceThread links for every VoiceThread students will be required to view and comment on.)
The video tutorial for activating VT can be found at http://voicethread.com/share/6007406/.
- In the Course Management menu, select Customization
- Click Tool Availability
- On the Tool Availability page, select the box associated with VoiceThread
- Click Submit
- Click Tools
- Click VoiceThread
- Complete the Name and Description fields (Note: You cannot have line breaks or multiple paragraphs within the Description field.)
- Click Submit (Note: A link will appear within Blackboard with the provided information, see below.)
- To set up the VoiceThread link, click the title
- Within the VoiceThread Setup menu, select the desired option and complete the setup options. To learn more about the following options, browse to https://voicethread.com/support/howto/System_Integration/LTI/Instructor_Guide/.
- Course View - Directs students to the course page within VoiceThread. Students will see all VoiceThreads associated with the course.
- VT Home - Directs students to their myVoice page. They can navigate throughout VoiceThread and all associated courses.
- Individual VT - Displays a selected VoiceThread within the Blackboard site that students can comment on.
- Assignment Builder - Directs students through a graded assignment. An associated column appears within the Blackboard Grade Center, and grading occurs within Bb. (Note: Grading must be turned on in the initial creation of the VoiceThread link for this option to be available.)
A video tutorial about the assignment builder is available at http://voicethread.com/share/6007797/.
- From VT Home, click the list icon on the left-hand side of the page
- Click Owned by me
- Drag and drop desired VTs from the right-hand panel into the correct class under Groups
- Complete the desired sharing options and click Share
- Navigate to the VoiceThread link and click the title
- Click Create new VoiceThread
- Either click Add Media and select files OR drag-and-drop files onto the screen
(Note: VoiceThread accepts images, video, documents, PDF, and PowerPoint files. You can also record a video directly to VoiceThread.)
- On the Thread Settings window Title/Description tab, complete the Title, Description, and Tags fields.
- On the Cover Art tab, upload a desired image for the presentation’s cover
- After uploading your PowerPoint slides, click Comment
(Note: You will be redirected to a different screen that will display each slide individually.)
- Click Comment
- Click the desired comment type
- If a message box appears, click Allow
- Click the stop button when you have completed your narration
- Click Save to save and publish your comment
- Narrate each desired slide by completing steps 5-9
- Click X when you have completed your narrations
- Click Share with Class
- Click Share with Class
The following tutorials cover the same information as the written instructions above, but in a video format.
- Activating VoiceThread within Blackboard
- Adding VoiceThread to a Blackboard Course
- Activating a VoiceThread Link
- VoiceThread Assignment Builder
For more information on creating and editing VoiceThreads, browse to the VoiceThread Support page.
Published on July 28, 2014