Certificate Program in Online Course Development and Teaching
The Office of e-Campus Learning offers a Certificate Program in Online Course Development and Teaching. Having studied a number of quality professional development and training programs and researched best practices, the Instructional Design Center (IDC) has developed a professional development certificate program designed to encourage and support best practices in online teaching.
This rigorous 8-week hybrid program requires high levels of engagement and participation and facilitates participants' use of best practices in online course development and teaching. The program includes three required face-to-face meetings combined with weekly online coursework.
Topics covered in the course include
- Methods of enhancing teacher presence and student engagement
- Writing measurable course and module objectives
- Designing effective assessment strategies
- Designing and engaging in pedagogically sound blogs, wikis, journals, and discussion forums
- Developing short faculty videos that students actually want to watch
- How to give students what they want: affirmation and meaningful feedback in a timely manner
- Understanding the instructor’s role in retention strategies/processes you can use to get students across the finish line
- Discussion of copyright and academic integrity, The Quality Matters® Rubric, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), mobile learning, and other topics
Published on August 22, 2014